Fundraising should be fun, but it’s important that everything is safe and legal, for everyone involved. The key to success is being organised and beginning as early as possible.

We cannot accept liability for any fundraising activity or event you undertake. It is your responsibility to keep your event safe and legal so keep good records of everything you do.

Here are some key areas to check that you have covered:

Keep it Safe

Carry out a risk assessment before your event or activity to ensure that everyone involved with your event—participants, helpers and spectators—stays safe.

You can find out more at Health and Safety Executive. Supervise your event properly—and take particular care if children are involved.


If you are planning a fundraising activity where you may come into contact with people outside of your household, please ensure you follow the current government guidelines.

We do not recommend that you collect cash donations from your supporters and instead use online payment or donation methods.


If you are planning an activity that involves the general public you’ll need to budget for public liability insurance, which can be obtained from any insurer.

Check first to see if your venue, such as a village hall or pub, already has the appropriate insurance and that it covers your particular activity. If you’re holding an event at home or on private property, check your insurance covers this too.

Raffles & Lotteries

You may need a license to hold a raffle or a lottery.

You can find out more on the Institute of Fundraising website.


A street collection in a public place requires a license from the local council.

No license is needed if you seek permission from local businesses to hold a collection on their premises; for example, a shopping centre may give you permission to set up an activity in their foyer.


Contact your local Council to find out if a license is required.

For example: public entertainment, a collection or alcohol license.

Food Hygiene

Do food safety laws apply to food for sale or not? The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling and cooking food.

If you are using a caterer you need to make sure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate and Public Liability Insurance.

Risk Assessment

You will need to identify any hazards and assess any risks involved in your activity, in order to put in place actions that will minimise those risks.

Always ensure you have adequate first aid cover in place for the scale of your activity or take advice from the St John’s Ambulance  or your local council.

Data Protection

Make sure any electronic or paper records you keep about people involved in a fundraising event complies with the Data Protection Act.

Only collect the information you need. Keep it safe, do not share it and only keep it for as long as you need. More information can be found at the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Find out More

Charity fundraising is regulated by law and you’ll find a lot of useful information about licences, risk assessments, insurance and more at the Institute of Fundraising.

Or we’ll be glad to help, call us on 01245 237548 or click here to contact us.

A walk in the woods in the rain

Order Your Fundraising Pack

Click the button below to order your fundraising pack. It’s full of ideas, helpful tips and handy bits such as sponsorship forms.

Fundraising Pack front cover