Have a holiday with Dementia Adventure
Holidays shouldn’t stop just because of a dementia diagnosis. We believe with the right support anything is possible, which is why we offer small-group and tailored holidays for people living with dementia, enabling them to get away with their friends and family.
Evidence shows our supported holidays have significant well-being benefits for both the person living with dementia and their companions, including:
- Improved physical health: E.g. Skin health, fitness, sleeping patterns, eating patterns, improved verbal expression; improved memory and attention.
- Improved emotional health: E.g. Lifted moods, reduced stress, agitation, anger, apathy and depression.
- Improved social health: E.g. Multi-sensory engagement and joy, improved sense of well-being, independence, self-esteem and control and improved social interaction and a sense of belonging.
- Increased positivity about the future.
- Increased feelings of being able to cope.
- Increased understanding of how to support someone with dementia.
- Increased confidence in how to engage with nature and the outdoors.
- Improved relationships between the person with dementia and their holiday companion.
Making Your Holiday Possible
We’ve offered supported dementia holidays for well over a decade. We understand the complex and individual needs of people living with dementia. Whether you’re looking for an alternative to respite – where everyone gets a rest, or an opportunity to have an adventure with your loved ones, we’ll support you to have the holiday you deserve.
Our holidays are available to people from all walks of life. To make them affordable, our listed prices have been subsidised by 25%. We don’t want finance to be a barrier to you getting the holiday you need. If the subsidised price of the holiday is out of reach, please contact us. We will help to make your holiday possible.
The holiday planning is all done for you, or with you, from accommodation, to travel, days out and meals. Our experienced and fully trained team will be on hand 24/7 and our well planned itineraries ensure there’s plenty to enjoy, whether you want to relax by the coast, walk in the mountains or explore historic sites.
Our focus is on what you can achieve rather than what you can’t. We’ll be encouraging you to have fun and to engage with the wellbeing benefits of being outdoors.
- 24/7 support while you’re away
- A choice of 4 or 5 day holidays, including weekend breaks.
- Rest and enjoyment for both the person with dementia and their companion.
- Transparent pricing with no hidden extras
- Fully risk assessed accommodation
- Covid-secure procedures
- Additional subsidies for those who need them
- Support to fund your holiday
An experienced Adventure Leader will join you on the holiday to take care of all the day to day practical details, along with at least one supporter for every person living with dementia. We’ll be with you 24 hours a day, able to do all the cooking and driving, assisting at mealtimes, and accompanying you on days out. We are an extra pair of hands, eyes and ears so you can relax and benefit from the break. We’ll be sensitive to your individual needs, encouraging independence and meaningful activity where possible, and providing as little or as much support as you require.
- DBS checked
- Trained to understand dementia and the key challenges.
- Trained in communication and dementia.
- Trained in risk analysis for outdoor activities.
- Trained in safeguarding.
- Certificated first aid qualification.
- Trained in food hygiene & manual handling.
- Trained in infection control, including Covid-19.
Our small group supported holidays are always popular and sell out fast! Enjoy five days* of fun and relaxation, with people in a similar situation to you. We take care of the details so you can get the most out of our hand-picked accommodation in a variety of beautiful destinations across the UK.
*In 2022 we are offering shorter weekend breaks in the Peak District and the Isle of Wight (subject to availability).
Any time, any place, anywhere! We’ll plan a holiday specific to your requirements, abilities, and preferred destinations throughout the UK. Our tailored holidays are ideal for friends, couples or families who want to travel together.
We want you to have fun on your holiday, but your safety is our top priority.
We will follow any new Government guidance and COVID-19 procedures.
- Please do not attend if you have tested positive for Coronavirus or if you have any symptoms of Coronavirus.
- We ask all holidaymakers to have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- We recommend face masks to be worn whilst in the Dementia Adventure vehicle.
- Members of our face-to-face delivery team are fully vaccinated.
- Hand sanitiser and face masks are available in any vehicles, or holiday accommodation.
- Dementia Adventure vehicles are sanitised prior to and after use, and high touch points are cleaned daily.
- Social distancing, where possible.
- Maintaining rigorous cleaning protocols of holiday properties or training venues.
We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance for your supported holiday. We do not recommend specific providers and suggest that people do their own research.
The price of your holiday
As a charity we fundraise to make our holidays more affordable for everyone. On average we subsidise every holiday place by 25%.
The advertised price covers your entire holiday, including 24/7 support, food and activities. Unless there are breakages or damage, we will not bill any additional expenses. Depending on the location a typical five day holiday is currently between £850 to £1,300 per person.
We know that getting a break is essential for people living with dementia and their families. And we know that funding your holiday can sometimes be difficult. We don’t want finance to be a barrier to you getting the holiday you need. If the price of the holiday is too high for you, please contact us, to speak to us in complete confidence. We are waiting to hear from you to help make your holiday possible.
For those who can afford to pay the listed price, you have the option to make a further donation. Your donation will help us to support those who cannot afford a holiday to get away. If you would like to make a holiday donation, please contact us.
Can you help?
Research shows that our supported holidays significantly improve physical and mental well-being for both the person with dementia and their care-giver. Yet finding a holiday that can meet individual support needs at an affordable price can be challenging.
We want to help people with dementia, from all backgrounds, to access a holiday, by offering affordable prices, and additional funding.
As a charity, we depend on the generosity of fundraisers, trusts, grants and businesses. If you or your business would like to make a holiday possible for people living with dementia and their families, please contact us.
The team were exceptional and I couldn’t have hoped for more. They gave us the confidence that nothing was impossible and we achieved things I had thought were impossible.
Though she may not remember the details of the holiday it has given mum a boost. With all the tips given, I have renewed energy to continue to support Mum so she can continue living at home for as long as possible.
I knew it would be good but never imagined it would be THAT good!
Not had a holiday like it in 62 years of marriage, it was tremendous, absolutely fantastic. I can’t tell you how wonderful it was.
The holiday exceeded all my expectations and has given me extra confidence for together travelling in the future.
A Typical Dementia Adventure Supported Holiday
People living with dementia can often feel that things like holidays and travel are no longer available to them, but we specialise in creating small group holidays for people living with dementia, their partners, family, friends or carer to enjoy together.