Have the holiday you want with Dementia Adventure
Holidays shouldn’t stop just because of a dementia diagnosis. We believe with the right support anything is possible. That’s why we offer tailored holidays for friends and family who want to go away together.
We will work closely with you to plan the holiday you hope for. Whether you’re dreaming of beaches, mountains, countryside or historic towns and villages, we can support you to make it happen, any time, any place, anywhere!
What to expect
We’ve offered supported dementia holidays for well over a decade. We understand the complex and individual needs of people living with dementia. Whether you’re looking for an alternative to respite – where everyone gets a rest, or an opportunity to have an adventure with your loved ones, we’ll support you to have the holiday you deserve.
The holiday planning is all done for you, or with you, from accommodation, to travel, days out and meals. Our experienced and fully trained team will be on hand 24/7 and our well planned itineraries ensure there’s plenty to enjoy, whether you want to relax by the coast, walk in the mountains or explore historic sites.
Durations of stay are very flexible, from long weekends to more substantial holiday breaks. Previously we have arranged a canal boat holiday for a father and son, a family reunion trip to Cornwall, and a whitewater rafting adventure for two ladies in Scotland!
Our focus is on what you can achieve rather than what you can’t. We’ll be supporting you to have fun, get some rest, and of course access the wellbeing benefits of connecting to nature and the outdoors.
Before we go
We start with a detailed pre-holiday consultation that will enable us to design a break specifically around your needs, interests and preferred destination.
An experienced Adventure Leader will join you on the holiday to take care of all the day to day practical details, along with at least one supporter for every person living with dementia. We’ll be with you 24 hours a day, able to do all the cooking and driving, assisting at mealtimes, and accompanying you on days out. We are an extra pair of hands, eyes and ears so you can relax and benefit from the break. We’ll be sensitive to your individual needs, encouraging independence and meaningful activity where possible, and providing as little or as much support as you require.
- DBS checked
- Trained to understand dementia and the key challenges.
- Trained in communication and dementia.
- Trained in risk analysis for outdoor activities.
- Trained in safeguarding.
- Certificated first aid qualification.
- Trained in food hygiene & manual handling.
- Trained in infection control, including Covid-19.
We will tailor days out and activities to your interests. Depending on the destination you could be seal watching, boat sailing, walking in a nature reserve or visiting a farm. We focus our activities on those that enable you to access the wellbeing benefits of connecting to nature and the outdoors.
You will enjoy delicious food prepared by our team, with a menu created to suit your requirements, as well as picnics and pub lunches on our days out. We can also include trips to the pub, cafe or takeaway. The choice is yours.
What is Included?
The price will vary depending on your holiday, we can include:
- Full board accommodation.
- Complimentary soft drinks, tea and coffee.
- All activities and venue entrance charges.
- Personal care from an external agency, if required.
- Meals (including eating out).
- Possible transport to and from the holiday, if required.
- Transport during the holiday.
- Support from the Dementia Adventure team on location throughout the holiday.
- Pre and post booking support.
- One free photobook per booking.
We want you to have fun on your holiday, but your safety is our top priority.
We will follow any new Government guidance and COVID-19 procedures.
- Please do not attend if you have tested positive for Coronavirus or if you have any symptoms of Coronavirus.
- We ask all holidaymakers to have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- We recommend face masks to be worn whilst in the Dementia Adventure vehicle.
- Members of our face-to-face delivery team are fully vaccinated.
- Hand sanitiser and face masks are available in any vehicles, or holiday accommodation.
- Dementia Adventure vehicles are sanitised prior to and after use, and high touch points are cleaned daily.
- Social distancing, where possible.
- Maintaining rigorous cleaning protocols of holiday properties or training venues.
If you require assistance to travel we can arrange transport to and from your holiday.
During your stay you will be transported to all your day trips and activities in our Dementia Adventure minibus.
We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance for your supported holiday. We do not recommend specific providers and suggest that people do their own research.
Funding Your Holiday
As a charity we fundraise to be able to offer our holidays at subsidised prices. We do not include our overheads in your holiday cost. The price you pay is what it costs us to deliver your holiday.
- Pre-holiday planning and assessment
- 24/7 support while you’re away
- All meals
- All activities
We know that getting a break is essential for people living with dementia and their families. And we understand that funding your holiday can sometimes be difficult.
There are many ways to access funds to help make your holiday happen, especially if you are on a means tested benefit. Find out more.
A much needed break in the picturesque Peaks
Gill Taylor cares for husband John, who has dementia. For Gill it’s a full-time role as John needs support in every aspect of daily life. Lockdown made their usual respite arrangements impossible, leaving them desperate for both a break and some support.
We took care of all the planning and took John and Gill to the stunning surrounds of the Peak District. The sun was shining as we took in the magnificent Chatsworth House, walked deep into Speedwell Cavern and enjoyed the sights of the Longshaw Estate. Of course, we make sure to indulge in a proper Bakewell pudding, in the beautifully quaint Bakewell village.
Half way through the week I noticed my shoulders relaxed and gone down. It’s not until you have a break that you realise how stressed you’ve been.
Since the break both John and Gill have noticed their mood has improved and John’s ability to interact with others and be more active has significantly increased.
Everything was perfect – support, accommodation, food, visits and activities. I had a complete rest from having to drive, make decisions and rest. Thank you! We’ll be back!
The UK is host to some of the most beautiful beaches and stunning scenery. From wild moorland, to rugged mountains, wide open coastline and big skies. There is something for everyone.
Deep valleys, historic towns and ancient castles.
Views on every corner, quaint villages and caverns to explore.
Isle of Wight
Stunning coastline, intriguing history and heritage sites galore!