‘Understanding Dementia Better’ is free, online training for family and friends supporting someone with dementia. This informal session is really practical, offering you strategies, hints, tips and guidance.
The training has been developed around our mission to think differently about dementia. Our focus is on the individual and not the condition, looking at what they can do, not what they can’t. We believe with the right support, people can continue to do the things they love and keep active.
Our specialism is supporting people to access the vital health benefits of connection to nature and the outdoors. We work with families to help them overcome the barriers to making this happen.
About Understanding Dementia Better
During this session, our expert training team will support you to understand dementia better, offering you small and easy steps that can make a big difference.
The 2-hour sessions are informal, and a great opportunity to meet and learn from other people in similar situations to you.
We actively encourage questions, which you can ask during the session or send to us before-hand.
You can expect to understand:
- The common symptoms of dementia.
- How dementia can affect the senses, communication and behaviour.
- The importance of seeing the person before the condition.
- Practical ways to connect with a person with dementia.
- Strategies to overcome communication barriers.
- Solutions for adapting the environment.
- The benefits of a connection with nature and the outdoors.
Following the training, we will send you an email with a link to resources we mention throughout the session.
A Note to Professionals:
If you are a paid professional working with people with dementia or their caregivers/supporters, you may want to attend an Understanding Dementia Better session before signposting others to our services.
We provide a limited number of spaces for professionals on each session. Please contact us if space is not available.
About our Trainers
Our training team are dementia experts who have developed a huge amount of knowledge and experience over many years of delivering similar events to people with dementia—and those who live and work with them.
They are dedicated to learning from people with lived experience of the condition.
All our training is created using the latest research.
Who should attend?
This session is for unpaid family supporters or friends of people living with dementia.
Benefits of attending:
- 97% have an increased understanding of how to support someone with dementia.
- 95% have more knowledge of the information and support available.
- 92% have a more positive understanding of dementia.
- 80% feel better equipped to cope with their situation.
- 7 out of 10 carers feel less isolated.
How do I book?
Understanding Dementia Better Sessions are free to attend, but booking is essential.
To book into Understanding Dementia Better:
- Select the date you would like to attend from the choice in the section below.
- Click the button and it will take you to a page in Eventbrite where you can fill in your details to book your ticket.
- You will receive an email confirming your booking. That email will also contain information on how to join the session.
- We will remind you of the session in the lead up to the date of the training.
I’ve booked and now I can’t attend
Don’t worry, we know that life can be unpredictable and it’s not always possible to join the training as you had hoped. If that happens, and you are able, please:
- Contact us. We often have a waiting list and would like to make your ticket available to someone else.
- Book onto another date that suits you.
Some totally new information, resources & ideas that I had not known previously despite being a Dementia Friends Champion. I have attended many courses and this was by far the most educational of any.
My mother has been recently diagnosed with dementia. I want to support her and the only way to do so is to understand how it affects the person. With the knowledge I have gained from the course I’m more confident.
I found this session was very informative, it also gave us time to ask questions and interact with the group. The presentation was very professional, I have gained a lot of new ideas and there is one I need to put into action. I appreciate the trainers, they put everyone at ease and gained our trust. The tools they delivered are very helpful and enable me to cope a bit more with my husband’s dementia.
Understanding Dementia Better sessions
Book your free place at an Understanding Dementia Better session by selecting one of the events below and clicking on the ‘More Information’ button.
Understanding Dementia Better – Online
Tuesday, 6th September 2022
18.00 – 20:00 BST
Understanding Dementia Better – Online
Thursday, 22nd September 2022
10.30 – 12:30 BST
How to Join an Online Session
When you book into an Understanding Dementia Better session, you will receive an email containing a link to click in order to join the session via Zoom. You don’t need to download any special software—all you need is the link we’ll send you.
Please watch this short film by DEEP that gives a very simple explanation of the process: